How to Fall Asleep Fast
Having trouble getting to sleep? We all have faced this at one point or the other. Whether you have sleep apnea, asthma, sleeping pills, or even noisemakers to help you get to that soothing place to start falling asleep we all have sleep issues. In fact, sleep problems have become a constant nuisance. Luckily, without resorting to medication, we can get that much-needed rest with having sleep masks to help us. Importantly, sleep masks wont brake the bank. They’re actually affordable and convenient. Sleep masks are small and lightweight that it can be carried anywhere for use at any time most especially by travelers, whether they’re napping on the plane or sleeping in an unfamiliar hotel on a business trip.
To get the best sleep mask that blocks out light completely, suits with your preferred sleeping style. Yes, Style. Sleep masks like most other products these days have durable designs, and feels comfortable; one of the crucial factors determining the best sleep mask is the material that makes up the sleep mask. It becomes essential to know the properties, pros, and cons of different materials used in making various types of sleep mask materials. So let’s take a look at some of the sleep masks that we have come across in today’s marketplace. See our article on the best sleep masks of 2017.
The polyester fabric is made from a cutting of plant cuticles and other naturally occurring chemicals as well as synthetics. This type of material is so common that you can find them in all kinds of clothing, either blended with cotton fibers or used alone. Just take a look at the white tag when you buy your next outfit.
- First, it’s lightweight. Sleep mask designed with the polyester material is lightweight, making it very comfortable for you to wear and enhance the sound sleep you desire.
- It’s very strong. Polyester material is strong, resistant to stretching, shrinking, creasing, and mildew and resistant to abrasion which makes it be in shape even in harsh climatic condition.
- Sleep mask made with polyester fabric has light resistant. It helps block 100% incoming light.
- It has good durability. Polyester material is very durable because they are resistant to most chemicals. This property makes the product made from it to last long, wears very well, holds its shape and never get wrinkled.
- Polyester sleep masks are hydrophobic in nature and quick drying.
- Requires little amount of laundry soap for cleaning. It does not turn yellow and Mold, fungi, mildew, etc. does not grow on it.
- The major disadvantage of polyester material is that it does not breathe. The material made from it can be very unattractive.
- It’s not as soft as other fabrics like cotton therefor it does not feel natural.
- It is not environmentally friendly. Because polyester is made from synthetic fibers, it is not as sustainable as the natural fiber. Simply put polyester is not easily biodegradable because they are made from plastic.
- It gives the wearer a scruffy and cheap look but does it really matter if we wear this when we go to sleep?
- Polyester does not allow air to pass through it very well, causing wearers to get sweaty and overheated.
The next material that we will look at is Silk. The silk material is an animal textile gotten from the cocoon fibers of the Chinese silkworm. The material is very appropriate for those who want comfort and softness in their sleep masks. The example of a sleep mask which uses silk as the material is Cloroom Natural Silk Sleep Mask that has good ratings from many satisfied customers.
- Most hypoallergenic of all fabrics.
- Silk is the most hypoallergenic of all the fabrics because of its protein structure.
- The processing and cultivation of silk involves only soaking in water, steaming and heating (no chemicals). This helps the silk retain these original defensive properties even after processing.
- The silk material is mold resistant.
- It’s ultra-soft. Sleep mask made from this material is ultra-soft, making it very easy for you to relax and fall asleep.
- Silk made sleep mask are very comfortable to wear, making it easy to even notice or remember that you are wearing a mask.
- The material is highly absorbent and allows your skin to breathe well. Silk can absorb about 30% of its weight in moisture without damping. Silk absorbs perspiration at the same time let your skin breathe well.
- It is very durable and lightweight. No fabric has lightweight as silk making it have a luxurious feel.
- More expensive than other sleep mask made from other material because it is made from natural fiber.
- Silk gets yellowish with age.
- Requires special care and maintenance.
- Slick material shrinks over time and may need to purchase new ones on a routine basis.
Memory foam is also called low-resilience polyurethane foam or “viscoelastic” polyurethane foam. Memory foam is the combination of polyurethane with other chemicals to increase its density and viscosity. Depending on the density of the memory foam, the softness can vary from each sleep mask. It is soft and a high energy absorbent. Memory foam with high density becomes soft when reacting to body heat, making it a perfect material for a sleep mask.
- Evenly distributed and relieves pressure easily due to its combination of properties. The combined property of memory foam which is both viscous and elastic nature makes it strong enough to withstand any pressure.
- It is also more durable, will last longer and still retain its responsiveness qualities.
- Memory foam is safe for consumers suffering from allergies because it is prepared with polyurethane that protects the sleep mask from debris and dirt.
- Easy to maintain. It requires very little maintenance.
- Like other products of polyurethane, memory foam can be combustible.
- The high levels of PBDE the fire retardant, commonly used in memory foam, could endanger the health of the user. Check with each vendor on how they use fire retardents within their product.
- It is a poor deep support material because of its low resilience.
- It is a thick fabric, making it difficult to breathe in or out through its products and therefor tends to get warm in nature.
It is the most common types of silk with a high quality available for purchase which make up about 90% of silk in globally. Mulberry silk is produced by mulberry tree silkworms which can be found in China.
- Its natural protein structure makes it be a hypoallergenic fabric. The fact that the processing of mulberry silk is natural and requires no unhealthy chemicals during manufacturing makes it one of the best materials for the allergens.
- It is easy to work with and can be knit, woven, or spun without any problem.
- Mulberry silk regulates temperature, making it ideal for a sleep masks.
- This silk is absorbent and can absorb moisture.
- It is a breathable fabric that resists odors.
- It can be recycled and biodegradable. The mulberry silk material is Eco-friendly and poses no dangerous effect on the environment.
- Silks can be dyed with natural dyes with low-impact.
- It is 100% natural, and odorless.
- To maintain its nice texture, it requires special care and maintenance.
- The material easily shrinks when washed.
- Avoid prolonged sunlight exposure as the fabric will get damaged and may shrink.
- Hand washing of Mulberry Silk is ideal rather than machine wash to prolong the life of your sleep mask.
Polyurethane is made in either in a batch process or a continuous extrusion process or molded individually into discrete part-shapes. Polyurethane can be a solid or can have an open cellular structure, in which case it is called foam… and foams can be flexible or rigid. It is more useful in composite constructions and most times it is made using less amounts of blowing agents to make it less dense.
- Polyurethane foam (soft) is one of the softest materials to achieve comfort. It feels great when used for a sleep mask.
- It is more durable than some other materials and can last for many years without wearing out.
- Elegance and simplicity in a piece of design
- Has an effective thermal performance that helps to reduce energy.
- The major disadvantage of this material is that it releases chemicals that could be harmful to people who have respiratory problems.
- It reduces airflow and irritates the breathing.
- Polyurethane foam is more expensive than some of the alternative materials for making sleep mask in the marketplace.
- Polyurethane foam sleep masks does not last long like other materials used in making sleep mask.
- Polyurethane emits fumes and odors though they’re not that highly noticeable.
- Exposure to polyurethane causes health problems including rashes, allergic reactions, blindness, loss of consciousness and difficulty breathing.
Satin is a glossy and sleek fabric made with a particular kind of textile weave. The woven material used during the processing is run through very hot cylinders. The weaving method used in making it is quite different from that of basic fabric. With little interlacing of the threads, the satin weave is one under and four over which gives the satin fabric the glossy look. The fibers that are commonly woven to make satin are wool, silk, cotton, and synthetic materials like acetate or polyester.
- Looks luxurious and glossy
- Simply Soft
- Satin material is durable, beautiful, and lightweight. The weaving method used in making this fabric contributed to this great property.
- It wrinkles easily.
- Does not stretch well due to the nature of the material used in making the fabric.
- Not very breathable.
For example of a sleep mask which is made of satin is Sleep Master sleep mask.
Cotton is a fluffy staple fiber that grows in a protective case around cotton plant seeds in the family of Malvaceae of the genus Gossypium. One of the most common fabric materials to make clothing. Cotton fiber is almost pure cellulose. It is a natural fiber, which resembles a twisted ribbon under the microscope. Cottom comes from the cotton plant seed pod and is used for making many fabric types.
- Cotton is a stretchy and soft fabric, making that is comfortable to wear.
- Breathable, affordable, cool, comfortable, and soft.
- It dyes easily and can withstand bleaching, absorbs and releases perspiration on time and can withstand hot temperatures.
- Unlike the synthetic materials made from chemicals, cotton does not irritate the skin and because it is a natural fabric.
- Cotton material is absorbent in nature; this makes it good for hot conditions. It helps conduct heat away from the body when there is warmth.
- Easily fades, and wrinkles through washes.
- It is more prone to damage because it is a natural fiber. It can be damaged easily by moisture.
- The cotton material gets to shrink easily. To help avoid this, hang dry your cotton sleep masks.
- It absorbs large amounts of water and retains moisture, which makes it difficult to return to its original condition and shape over time.
- Difficult to get the stain out of the material and do not dry in time.
- Can have yellow coloration when exposed to too much sunlight
The property of the material used in designing a sleep mask typically determines on your individual preference. Whether you like factors such as comfort, fitness, and durability of a sleep mask. Your choice is ultimately up to your preferences, needs, typical sleeping position and budget. No matter what your selection may be, any one of the eye mask made from the reviewed materials will help you sleep soundly knowing what they are made out of.